For the last Runners Tell All link up of the year, we are recapping 2014 and talking about our goals for 2015. Sounds like a perfect opportunity for a bullet-point post.
- We lived in El Paso for the full year, and it took a while, but I finally got into a some kind of running routine and mostly acclimated to the dry, elevated climate here. But not the hills. Is it ever possible to get used to the hills?
- I took a very laid back approach to running this year. My training plans were more likes “suggestions” and I stopped beating myself up for missing/cutting short/doing terrible on a run.
- Races: one half marathon (the Flying Horse); one 10 miler (10 Miler in the Heat); an 8k (Fort Bliss Holiday 8k); anda couple of5ks (Turkey Trot, Hop for Health)
- I apparently don’t recap the smaller distance races. That’s a shame. I should start.
- I got involved with a wonderful running community (Wear Blue: Run to Remember). They make long runs significantly more enjoyable.
- I ran a total of 462 miles (as of today) for the year. That’s about 100 miles less than the average of my last 5 years. So a little disappointing.
- I have a spring half marathon on the schedule. I can’t share it with you yet because our PCS orders are not official-official and I don’t want to make the location public knowledge yet. But, I will say, it’s a big race, I’ve heard great things about it, and I’m pretty pumped about getting to do this one. I want to aim for a PR here.
- Even though the laid back approach to running was nice, I want to get back into a more disciplined mindset this coming up year. I feel like I need that.
- Run more than 462 miles.
- Write recaps for the shorter races.
- Will 2015 finally be the year I run a full marathon? I don’t know yet, but I’m not ruling it out a fall marathon.
Lastly, I have a question for you. I’m writing up a running bucket list that includes major races (for my unofficial 50 state challenge). I have a few in mind in a couple states, but what is your favorite-can’t-miss-must-do race that I should add to my list?